Six Foot Track Marathon - 2012 Entry Information
|Updated 25th February 2012|
The date of the next race will be 7.00am, Saturday 10th March 2012
2012 Race Entry
Entries will open at 9am on Thursday 1st December for Guaranteed Entrants only, and kept open until 9pm Friday 2nd December. Entries for other sections - Veterans and Novices will be concurrently opened at 9am Saturday 3rd December on 'first in first served' basis.
- All entries will be online - in 2011 the race filled the non guaranteed entries in 10 minutes so please read the information posted here so you do not miss out
- All runners need to follow the overview of entry procedure - updated for 2012
- All runners need to meet the entry criteria [updated 10th October 2011]
- Entry fee for 2012 is $135.00 which includes a technical race singlet/T-shirt (your selection) worth approx $40
- More background available in this information from the race director
Changes in procedure for 2012The following changes are confirmed:
- The period for a qualification event has been reduced from 5 years for veterans and 3 years for novices to one year, 3 months for all. To qualify for the 2012 race your qualifying run needs to have been later than 1st Dec 2010
- For Six Foot veterans, your wave start will be based on your 2011 six foot time, or another qualifing time (whatever is fastest/better) - we prefer an indicator of current form rather than a year old time in determining the wave starts. For Six Foot novices, your wave start will be based on your qualifying race/time.
- The 'early wave' has been be discontinued. All runners irrespective of age will be assigned to a wave based on their performance ability.
- Guaranteed entrants: All previous finishers of 5 finishes and above, Previous outright winners (male or female), last year's top ten, winners/podiums from selected qualifier events (as advised), RD discretions (inc some internationals, potential podium finishers, sponsor entries, committee members etc), race pioneers, previous RD's, $1000 fund raisers, pacers/sweeps etc will be guaranteed an entry subject to submitting their own entry within 24 hrs (or later as per RD discretion) This is expected to be no more than 250 runners (this is not a maximum). You will be asked to select one of the above criteria from a drop down list. If you do not meet any of the criteria and select one of them your entry may be de-registered. If you are unsure that you meet the criteria then enter in one of the other categories as below and argue the toss later - we would prefer that you "know" your status instead.
- Novices: There will be a quota for novices (people who have not completed Six Foot before) and who have qualified within the time frame.
- Other veterans: Previous finishers with 1 to 4 finishes under cutoff will make up the remaining entries e.g. if the numbers are as above (total 900, guaranteed 250 and novices 325) then there will be 325 "other veterans" plus a waitlist..
The following changes are also confirmed:
- *Race start time has moved to 7am
- *No Early Wave
- *Wave 1 - 7:00am (approx 100 runners, qualifier about 4:38 for men, 4:58 for women)
- *Wave 2 - 7:05am (approx 200 runners, qualifier about 5:16)
- *Wave 3 - 7:15am (approx 200 runners, qualifier about 5:53)
- *Wave 4 - 7:25am (approx 200 runners, qualifier about 6:06)
- *Wave 5 - 7:35am (approx 200 runners, qualifier sub 7:00)
2012 Race Info
Race Pack Pick Up - Carrington Hotel:
The race pack pick up will be as before at the Carrington Hotel, Katoomba on Friday 9th March between 10am and 8pm (latest). Note, we will not be posting it out. The timing chip, bib and any bus tickets will be at the registration table and your merchandise will be at a separate table. Your merchandise selections will be printed on the back of your bib.
Any bib numbers not picked up on the Friday will be issued on race day from 6:15am at entry to th start line area - not the car park. This will only be your chip, number and bus tickets. These people will have to pick up their merchandise at the finish line area. Please ensure that you pick up the correct bib number and chip.
Clothing bags will still be deposited at the car park (bulk) direct into truck and for the latecomers there is some space at the start line for this. Please try to make use of the Friday pick up where possible, or get someone to pick it up for you and minimise any problems for race morning.
Race Start Time:
Please note the new race start time this year for Wave 1 (fastest wave) is at 7am. This will be followed by 4 additional waves of just under 200 each at 7:05am, 7:15am, 7:25am and 7:35am.
This important change not only gives an additional hour in the coolest part of day but gives us logistical flexibility at the finish, and is important to the future growth of the race.
The wave allocations are being finalised at the moment and will be published on the website by this weekend. The wave or seeding allocations are important for a smooth flow of runners through the narrow sections where passing is difficult. Wave allocations are based on form provided, history and 'potential'. Requests for a wave slower than your running pace may be denied. I know some people like the psychological boost of passing but the track doesn't lend itself to that strategy in the early stages.
Note, if you are an unknown 'gun runner' with a possibility of a podium position, but without a qualifying time for W1 you need to 'out yourself' because podium positions will only be from wave 1.
Transport to/from finish:
The additional uptake of 'C' tickets has enabled us to put on an extra bus from the finish. Thanks for the support and cooperation on this. The plan for bus movements are now as follows:
Two buses from Caves House to start at 5:15am
Two buses from start to Caves House within 30min after start, i.e. around 8am.
These two buses will remain parked at Caves House with a planned earlier departure around 2:30pm.
After those two buses have ascended a further two buses will descend from their parked positions at the top of the hill (8km) to leave with the two Caves House tourist buses around 3:45pm.
The last four 6FT buses will then descend for departure around 4:30 - 4:45pm.
The above will mean that:
Caves Road will be closed from approx 2pm to 5pm. All these times are dependent on what the RFS Div Commander decides on the day in the best interest of traffic movement. There are also other scheduled closures of this road as per the Caves Trust timetable every day.
The presentation will be from 3pm to 3:30pm i.e. hopefully not interupted by the bus movements.
We are trying to minimise car movement around the finish precinct, i.e. exiting the arch from Caves Road and directed around Caves House. Once again a reminder therefore to use the alternate route around Duckmulloi Rd- Titania Rd- Edith Rd.
Even with the extra 24km my guess is that the time to car park will be minimally affected and the journey a lot easier. Remembering the above road closures, I don't believe it is possible to see your runner at both Caves Rd crossing and the finish in any case, so take the stress out of it and head straight to the finish as early as possible.
Remember too that parking is limited.
We have had great cooperation from Caves Trust in managing the above and I believe with a demonstrated improvement we can get some agreement in place with them next year on limiting the tourists.