Six Foot Track Marathon - 2013 Entry Information
|Updated 22nd November 2012|
The date of the next race will be 7.00am, Saturday 9th March 2013
2013 Race Entry
GUARANTEED ENTRY will open at 9am on Thursday 29th November 2012. To qualify for Guaranteed entry, in addition to having a qualifying run, you must be (a) have run 5 6ft and therefore are running for your Belt, or (b) have run 6-10 6fts including the last 3 (2009,2010,2011), or (c) have run 11+ 6fts.
NON GUARANTEED ENTRY (Other VETERANS and NOVICES) will open at 9am on Saturday 15th December 2012
Changes in procedure for 2013The following changes are confirmed:
- The period for a qualification is one year, 3 months for all. To qualify for the 2013 race your qualifying run needs to have been later than 1st Dec 2011 with one exception: due to the cancellation of 6ft 2012, if you ran 6ft in 2011 and were using that as your qualifier for 2012, then you can again use the 2011 6ft finish (under 7hrs) as your qualifier for 2013.
- For Six Foot veterans, your wave start will be based on your 2011 six foot time, or another qualifing time (whatever is fastest/better) - we prefer an indicator of current form rather than a year old time in determining the wave starts. For Six Foot novices, your wave start will be based on your qualifying race/time.
- The 'early wave' has been be discontinued. All runners irrespective of age will be assigned to a wave based on their performance ability.
- Guaranteed entrants: finishers with 5 finishes, 6-10 finishes including last 3 races, 11+ finishes, Previous outright winners (male or female), last 6ft's top ten, winners/podiums from selected qualifier events (as advised), RD discretions (inc some internationals, potential podium finishers, sponsor entries, committee members etc), race pioneers, previous RD's, $1000 fund raisers, pacers/sweeps etc will be guaranteed an entry subject to submitting their own entry within 24 hrs (or later as per RD discretion) This is expected to be no more than 250 runners (this is not a maximum). You will be asked to select one of the above criteria from a drop down list. If you do not meet any of the criteria and select one of them your entry may be de-registered. If you are unsure that you meet the criteria then enter in one of the other categories as below and argue the toss later - we would prefer that you "know" your status instead.
- Novices: There will be a quota for novices (people who have not completed Six Foot before) and who have qualified within the time frame.
- Other veterans: Previous finishers with 1 to 4, and 6-10 (non-streak) finishes under cutoff will make up the remaining entries e.g. if the numbers are as above (total 900, guaranteed 250 and novices 325) then there will be 325 "other veterans" plus a waitlist..
Winners and/or Podiums from selected qualifier events:
- Winners of Fitroy Falls Trail Marathon
- Podiums of Glenbrook (Ultra) Trail Marathon
- Podiums of Deep Space Marathon
- Podiums of Two Bays
- *Race start time is 7am
- *No Early Wave
- *Wave 1 - 7:00am (approx 100 runners, qualifier about 4:38 for men, 4:58 for women)
- *Wave 2 - 7:05am (approx 200 runners, qualifier about 5:16)
- *Wave 3 - 7:15am (approx 200 runners, qualifier about 5:53)
- *Wave 4 - 7:25am (approx 200 runners, qualifier about 6:06)
- *Wave 5 - 7:35am (approx 200 runners, qualifier sub 7:00)
- The race is a fundraiser for the Blue Mountains Rural Fire Service [website] - please seek donations at our fundraising page
- Latest discussion & comments from other runners
- Jenolan Caves House, is the official race hotel
- Join the newsletter so that you can receive email updates of anything important.
- The General Information Booklet as a web page
The following is confirmed:
2013 Race Info
Race Pack Pick Up - Carrington Hotel:
The race pack pick up will be as before at the Carrington Hotel, Katoomba on Friday 8th March between 10am and 8pm (latest). Note, we will not be posting it out. The timing chip, bib and any bus tickets will be at the registration table and your merchandise will be at a separate table. Your merchandise selections will be printed on the back of your bib.
Any bib numbers not picked up on the Friday will be issued on race day from 6:15am at entry to th start line area - not the car park. This will only be your chip, number and bus tickets. These people will have to pick up their merchandise at the finish line area. Please ensure that you pick up the correct bib number and chip.
Clothing bags will still be deposited at the car park (bulk) direct into truck and for the latecomers there is some space at the start line for this. Please try to make use of the Friday pick up where possible, or get someone to pick it up for you and minimise any problems for race morning.
Race Start Time:
Please note the race start time this year for Wave 1 (fastest wave) is at 7am. This will be followed by 4 additional waves of just under 200 each at 7:05am, 7:15am, 7:25am and 7:35am.
This important change not only gives an additional hour in the coolest part of day but gives us logistical flexibility at the finish, and is important to the future growth of the race.
The wave allocations when finalised will be published on the website. The wave or seeding allocations are important for a smooth flow of runners through the narrow sections where passing is difficult. Wave allocations are based on form provided, history and 'potential'. Requests for a wave slower than your running pace may be denied. I know some people like the psychological boost of passing but the track doesn't lend itself to that strategy in the early stages.
Note, if you are an unknown 'gun runner' with a possibility of a podium position, but without a qualifying time for W1 you need to 'out yourself' because podium positions will only be from wave 1.
Transport to/from finish:
The additional uptake of 'C' tickets has enabled us to put on an extra bus from the finish. Thanks for the support and cooperation on this. The plan for bus movements are now as follows:
Two buses from Caves House to start at 5:15am
Two buses from start back to Caves House within 30min after start, i.e. around 8am.
These two buses will remain parked at Caves House with a planned earlier departure around 2:30pm.
After those two buses have ascended a further two buses will descend from their parked positions at the top of the hill (8km) to leave with the two Caves House tourist buses around 3:45pm.
The last four 6FT buses will then descend for departure around 4:30 - 4:45pm.
The above will mean that:
Caves Road will be closed from approx 2pm to 5pm. All these times are dependent on what the RFS Div Commander decides on the day in the best interest of traffic movement. There are also other scheduled closures of this road as per the Caves Trust timetable every day.
The presentation will be from 3pm to 3:30pm i.e. hopefully not interupted by the bus movements.
We are trying to minimise car movement around the finish precinct, i.e. exiting the arch from Caves Road and directed around Caves House. Once again a reminder therefore to use the alternate route around Duckmulloi Rd- Titania Rd- Edith Rd.
Even with the extra 24km my guess is that the time to car park will be minimally affected and the journey a lot easier. Remembering the above road closures, I don't believe it is possible to see your runner at both Caves Rd crossing and the finish in any case, so take the stress out of it and head straight to the finish as early as possible.
Remember too that parking is limited.
We have had great cooperation from Caves Trust in managing the above and I believe with a demonstrated improvement we can get some agreement in place with them next year on limiting the tourists.